Friday, August 25, 2006

Holy Mackerel!

Improvisation is key to innovation in the kitchen. Considering how picky I am, and how I would have to improvise in the kitchen if I didn't want to go hungry, then I must be getting to be a great innovator!

In the Stir Fries chapter, Tom includes a recipe for Mackerel and Ginger as a perfect accompaniment to stir-fries. Not being a fishy person at all, I couldn't face eating a non-familiar fish and a whole one at that! I instead focused on a fish I didn't have too much of a problem with -- salmon.

113. Mackerel and Ginger (but with salmon) - Stir Fries

Since I wasn't cooking a whole fish, I had to work around it but still give the salmon the same essence the mackerel would have.

I decided to combine all the ingredients for the fish in a paste first, rather than drizzling it over. The sauce consisted of minced garlic and ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, lemon juice and chilli flakes.

I cooked the salmon a la Tom's grilled fish instructions, using the 'hot pan/hot oven' method. Before I put the salmon in the oven, I pasted the sauce on it. I baked it in the hot oven for just a few minutes, and it was done! Nigella helped out with dinner too; I made her lovely Lemon Rice from Forever Summer. Apart from lemon juice and zest, the rice is wonderfully flavored with turmeric and dried mint.


The two together were really lovely. Salmon is usually bland, but the sauce flavored it beautifully. As good as it was, I don't think salmon is my thing. I just can't get excited about it. But for salmon fans, or fish fans, the sauce for the fish is really punchy and yummy. You should definitely give it a go.

Rafa liked the meal too... I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that he was starving, plus he was in a particulary good mood because his soccer (whoops, football!, sorry!) team won the Super Cup or something ridiculous like that. Sorry, had to add that part into my blog, otherwise he wouldn't talk to me.

Now we have a lovely weekend to enjoy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is called the European Supercup. This title is given to the best Football team in Europe!!! ...nothing ridiculous but serious stuff!!

Rafa

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, Ilana, I think I´ll just have to give this a go! What oven temperature did you use, please?
Looks like this Cupboard love is really good value, earlier I laid my eyes on the asparagus risotto, I would like to try that some time too. Keep the good work up!

vonsachsen xx

Lady M said...

Hi there VS. Tom says to put your oven to its highest setting, but be careful not to put it on Broil/Grill, as that is the highest setting on mine! LOL. I think I had it something like 500F. :)

Lady M said...

And VS, I'm surprised that you didn't say anything about the LEMON rice ;) LOL.

Anonymous said...

LOL,I AM obsessed with lemons, but I also like something to put my teeth in :P (Ummm, you know what I mean)
Thanks for the answer about oven, I´ll try this either today or tomorrow :)
I also have some aubergines that have to be used, so I´ll see what I´ll do first :) Have a nice day!

vs xx

Anonymous said...

I have a freezer full of mackerel so this looks like the ideal way to use it up! Gravy King caught them all on a fishing day out when he was in hunter/gatherer mode.