Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Picky Eater Overcomes Salmon!

Here's a little lesson about picky eaters: Most of us don't like certain foods, not because we have tasted it and not liked it, but instead because we didn't like the look of them, they smell funny, everyone seems to like them and we need to be 'different', etc. Salmon, for me, is an interesting case. For a long time I used to love to eat it cooked; and then one day, I had a horrible kedgeree-making experience and I have gone off salmon altogether. Mind you, I still love salmon in sushi form, and of course, smoked salmon. Hey, I'm a New Yorker!

98. Grilled Salmon - *Grills*
99. Posh Mushy Peas - *Grills*

I mentioned previously that in CL's Grills chapter, Tom shows various ways of cooking different types of fish and seafood. For the purpose of finishing this project on time, I decided to lump fish into one category, and seafood into another. With the grilled shrimps already done a few days ago, I thought I'd finally tackle my fish aversion, namely for salmon!

I picked up a nice piece of salmon fillet and decided I would pair it with some mushy peas. Tom's recipe for the peas actually comes from Nigella. He says he had seen her prepare it on TV but cannot find it in any of her books, so he made up his own from memory. Tom, psst, if you're reading, How to Eat!

I started on the peas and salmon at basically the same time as neither took very long to cook at all.

I blanched a garlic clove in some salted boiling water for a few minutes, and then I added some frozen peas and a couple of mint leaves.

While this was simmering, I oiled a hot pan and seared a salmon fillet skin-side down for about three minutes. I turned it over briefly and then tranferred it to a baking pan. I know that salmon tends to be sort of bland unless heavily seasoned, so instead, I took some advice from the ladies at Nigella.com and made a paste of mustard and maple syrup. I brushed this on the salmon before putting it into the hot oven.

Then, since the fillet was quite small, I only baked it for about 3-5 minutes. It was perfectly done, and not too dry!

While the salmon rested I quickly processed the drained peas, garlic and mint with some sour cream (Tom says creme fraiche, but for only a teaspoon, I didn't want to make a special trip), butter and salt.

Then all I had to do was serve up the salmon with the mushy peas.


The salmon was yummy - it was perfectly cooked, and the glaze definitely gave it a special flavor. The peas were good too! I love the combination of flavors, not to mention how gorgeous they look together on the plate!

Well I guess I'm growing -- I finally ate salmon after my two-year hiatus! Next, anchovies! Yeah right!!!!

No comments: