Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Will she? Won't she?

Vacations are bad! They make you feel like you can rush through the world at the speed of light, that you are more glamorous and beautiful than you really are, that the world can just stop for an instant. The seconds you dunk your head in the water and then pop out could be hours, but they are mere minutes, in reality.

I feel like these last few days I have been in a bubble. I wasn't lazy, I was keen on life, 'full of beans', as my friend would say. I was even able to mostly ignore the awful pit in my stomach over what's going on in my homeland.

Now I'm faced with reality head-on. Thank god my sister and her family were able to relocate further south in Israel. They are staying with my dad, who is in Israel for the next month or so. I hate feeling like awful things are happening all the time, and there is nothing I can do to stop it.

Cooking-wise, am I ready to give myself another jumpstart? It is hot here... and not the 'aww, summer's getting on my nerves' type of hot, REALLY HOT! When I arrived at JFK last night it was something like 90ยบ, and it was almost midnight!

So, what will I cook in this hot weather? I really want to get through some more salad recipes; perhaps a Thai curry here and there. I'm not giving up and so far heading towards my target date. We'll see what the future brings...

As far as I know, I think anyone should sign a Terms and Agreement type of notice when buying airline tickets; I hereby promise that I will not believe that vacations are never-ending, and that I never have to come back home. Employers will be just as annoying upon your return. And as tempting as it is, don't scratch mosquito bites!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You had an awesome five days away! Thank you for letting us partake in your holiday adventures. For a brief moment, I wondered if your ticket was one-way only. :) It's hard to snap back to reality. It just means you'll have to go for another visit very soon.

Lea xo