Monday, July 17, 2006

Feelin' hot, hot, HOT!

This is my last day here! Waaaaah!

Lucky me though got to go on an awesome kayak ride....




We got to see some flamingoes -- how cool is that?!

After some shopping, I made lunch!

104. Prawns and Red Curry - *Thai*

Our shopping expedition including getting some coconut milk and Thai red curry paste.

I started cooking by defrosting and deveining some shrimp. I also zested a lime and chopped up some parsley.

As always, I started on the rice first. I spritzed some lime into the rice water to give it a bit of a zing.

So, for the shrimp, I heated up some oil in a wide frying pan and added the shrimp. After letting them cook for a couple of minutes, I added the red curry pasre and a dash of coconut milk to make sure the shrimp was coated.


I added the coconut milk, lime juice, zest, soy sauce (we don't like fish sauce) and some sugar. I let the mixture simmer for a little bit.

Then I spooned the curry into a few bowls and garnished each with chopped up spring onions and parsley. (No go with the coriander - fine by me!)


The curry was fantastic!! I have a very sensitive palate and it was definitely on the spicy side. Troy and Lisa, huge spiceophiles, loved it, but had to add some extra chilli flakes to their bowls!! Yikes!


Well I think that just proves how insane they are, but I love 'em anyway!

Quite appropriately, Troy put on 'Hot Hot Hot' while we were eating... I'm off in a sec to the pool for my last swim to cool off!!!

See you back on the other side!

3 comments:

Anna's kitchen table said...

Ilana, the curry sounds delicious!
I have really enjoyed reading about your Florida trip - how wonderful that you got to meet the lovely Lisa and family in the flesh! Hope I can be as lucky one day..
Anna xxx

Lisa said...

Ilana - I have bad news. It seems that Mr. X needs to brush up on his Florida wildlife guides a bit.

While at the bookstore with the boys today I picked up a guide to Gulf Coast birds. It seems that what I told you were Pink Flamingoes were actually Roseate Spoonbills.

Can you ever forgive me?

Lady M said...

Ohhhh, X, I'm crushed!!!!

And I was thisclose to getting an I Heart Flamingoes t-shirt at the gift shop at the airport!! ;)

Well I think the only thing that will fix this is that you make me one of those marshmallow peanut butter sandwiches you are so well known for. I was pleased to bits when I had your 'iced waters'; would love to sample more from the master!

Argggh!