Saturday, July 01, 2006

Picky Eaters Club: Month 3

June is over!!! When I started this project I thought how far away the summer was; and now we're here, and one-third of it is gone! Well I am exactly halfway through my project and I am feeling scared. I only did 27 recipes in 30 days! Ok, so 94 recipes in 91 days total! I am below my required rate, yikes! Breathe, taking deeeeeep breaths! Not going to freak out! I have to admit, what a lazy-ass have I been lately -- I get into the mode where I am just running on adrenaline and then I just screech to a halt.

Well I better get my ass in gear. I have two trips scheduled for July, and I have guests coming for 10 days in August.

Let's have a look at new and fantastic ingredients I found!

La Bella San Marzano tinned plum tomatoes - the ones Tom uses - found at Dom's in Little Italy, Manhattan

yellow tomatoes - yes, you've seen the last of them, I promise. I haven't seen them for ages. Must have taken their entire inventory, but you must admit, they were fun for a bit!

dried porcini mushrooms - I'll forgive their crazy price since they're Italian and can't help it!

radicchio

oyster mushrooms

rib-eye steak (yes, my first time buying steak!)

lamb chops (yes, yes, first time too!)

Recipes I loved:

68. Spring Bean Soup - the Peckham Way - *Soup*

70. Bruschetta - *Toast*
78. Spanish Omelette - (dill-flavored variation) - *Toast*
83. Quicker Tomato Sauce - *Junk Food*
84. Napoletana - *Junk Food*
89. Marathon Shake - *Afters*
90. Dried Mushroom Risotto - *Risotto*
92. Pasta with Parmesan (sage variation) - *Pasta*
94. A Winter Bean Salad - *Larder Salads*

Hopefully this holiday weekend will be productive. Well today's a wash out - literally, going to the beach! Monday, I actually have to go to work at Crapco - we don't get that day off! The 4th, well, is the 4th. So really I have tomorrow. I'm in trouble! LOL.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You did really find some terrific ingredients, yellow tomatoes not excluded! I'm a huge fan of radicchio, and although the dried porcini mushrooms are pricey, they do go a long way. Everyone seems to love those San Marzano tomatoes -- they are supposed to be the best. Perhaps Tom is not only well-versed in the Indonesian treats, but also an Italophile (like me), b/c he's sure supplied some good leads there for you!