Saturday, June 10, 2006

llana's Test Kitchen

Cupboard Love is set up in a way that about 75% of it are full recipes, and the rest of it is all about variations to those recipes. This is very good news for me because I am not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to cooking - meaning I mess up, a lot! So I will now get second, or even third, chances to really perfect the recipe.

I have been watching a lot of Test Kitchen on PBS. It's from the creators of Cook's Illustrated, and let me tell you, these people know their stuff. I mean they test recipes over and over again, and you could tell that their final result would be trusted to be the best. I've simulated a small test kitchen in my tiny kitchen due to this project, and it seems like this past week has been the week of variations!

Well this morning was no different; I decided to make the variation for the Spanish Omelette.

78. Spanish Omelette (dill-flavored variation) - *Toast*

You may recall that a few things went wrong the last time I made the tortilla. I found that the mixture for 4-6 people was WAY too much for a 20cm/8 in. pan. I had to quickly transfer to my bigger pan, resulting in the bottom burning a bit since I had forgotten to oil it. And then, because I was worried about burning the other side too, I served the omelette with it not being completely set. Oh well! It was still bloody fantastic!

So, this time, I decided to be a bit more relaxed in the kitchen and not take myself so seriously. The test kitchen commenced with me deciding to halve the recipe (Rafa's at work anyway) and using my 20cm pan for that small mixture. Even better, I had waxy potatoes this time! I completely ignored this distinction last time I cooked the omelette not knowing what waxy potatoes really were. 'Sup Food Subs!

The waxy potatoes!

I cooked a thinly sliced onion for about a half an hour in about 1/2 cup of olive oil. While that was happening, I boiled some thinly sliced waxy potatoes in salted water till just tender. I drained each separately, making sure to reserve the oniony oil. Then I mixed up the two together with a bit of the oniony oil and some chopped dill, (Tom didn't say how much so I left it up to taste - this by the way, Tom points out, is what makes this variation of the omelette totally unauthentic - Spaniards don't add dill to their tortilla! Ha!).

I also added three beaten eggs, with a pinch of salt to taste.

I heated up the 20cm pan until very hot and added a tablespoon of the flavored oil. Then I carefully tipped in the omelette and lowered the heat so it could cook thorougly.


I was freaking out about the flipping part, but managed it pretty well in the end.

I served the omelette with some sliced cucumber on the side. Tom says smoked salmon would actually be good, but I didn't have any. I still wanted something to offset the sweetness of the omelette, and the cucumbers turned out to be a welcome addition.

The omelette was delicioso! Unbelievably warm and sweet from the barely-there onions - they were so softened they just melted into the entire dish! The dill gave a nice little change to the dish, though was not overpowering, and the cucumbers on the side really brought out the lovely flavor in the omelette because of its contrast!

You know I always cringe at 'wine experts' on TV that talk about pairing wine with food to bring out the flavor in both, and how they describe wine, jeeez! 'It's slightly oak-ey, with a hint of spice, but warm and buttery at the same time!' Euuushh! Make up your mind people; does it taste like an oak tree, like cinnamon, or like butter?! Please tell me it can't be all of those at once! LOL. Most of the time I think they are just sloshed off their heads because this one chick (who really needs a new hairdresser because the 80's called, and they'd like their hairstyle back!) usually recommends drinking three different wines in one meal! What?! Anyhoo, sorry for the tangent, but my point is that I kind of did that pairing thing with the cucumbers and the omelette. When eating the omelette I wanted a piece of cucumber, and vice versa! Before I knew it I had finished the omelette - whoops!

On another note, I'd like to offer a music recommendation to this recipe - and this is so unlike me! I was really enjoying listening to Lite-FM (yes I'm a Lite-FM geek!), and was loving eating the omelette and listening to James Blunt's 'Goodbye My Lover' and Anna Nalick's 'Breathe'. Perfect for a quiet and relaxing Saturday morning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ilana honey, the omelette looks totally delicious. :) I've been wondering about one thing... A friend of mine who taught me how to make Spanish omelette told me you should wait a couple of hours after you've cooked it and eat it cold! Surely that can't be true, can it? You always eat yours warm (I presume) and you're married to a Spaniard so you should know. ;) Or perhaps there are two "right ways"? :)

Lady M said...

Hi, Lotta! Thanks, it was really delicious!
Well I consulted with the resident Spaniard and he said they could be eaten either way; it is a matter of personal preference.
I remember being served tortilla in a small baguette as a sort of tapa, and it was lukewarm; still wonderful though!