Friday, July 14, 2006

Kid's Play

Back home in Brooklyn, I don't have a big audience for sweet treats! Rafa doesn't have much of a sweet tooth, and let's face it, eating one dessert after another is definitely something my widening hips can't handle!

My friend has four young boys, so I think I was in good company here to try out a kid favorite - s'mores!

Tom's version of s'mores are a bit different than the traditional- which are traditionally made on the campfire - graham crackers sandwich together marshmallows and chocolate. Fantastic! Tom's versions has all the same ingredients, just mixed together in a different way so they are actually a sort of traybake, as the Brits would call it. Lisa and I joked that we should have a bake sale here and make a fortune! Ah, maybe next time! These s'mores were all for us!

101. Something 'Smoreish' - *Afters*

The first thing I did was melt some butter and mix it up with crushed graham crackers!



Then I melted some milk chocolate in a pan (Tom calls for 'dark' but since my audience was pint-size, I thought I'd keep it kiddie-friendly) and started to melt some mini-marshmallows into it. When it was slightly melted, I just mixed it all up with the graham crackers and butter combo. In a buttered pan, I scooped this mixture -- but wait, I had a few distractions before I did that. The kids saw chocolate and marshmallows and they came runnin'!



So once they got a fix of the yummy concoction, I spread the mixture into the pan, with some help! ....



And let it set for about a couple of hours in the fridge. We had some awesome pool time and then a lovely lunch -- the s'mores were dessert!

Needless to say, they were a BIG hit, with the grownups and kids! They were a good bartering tool to make the kids finish their lunch first. I put my negotiating skills at work!




Whatever was left, I cut up and put in a tupperware container - I AM the suburban domestic goddess! LOL.



I could get used to this kinda thing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's the recipe for this delicious treat?

Anonymous said...

Yum Yum Yum how lovely, a wonderous traybake indeed!

It looks jolly awesome.

Terrif job old girl

GQ x