Thursday, March 30, 2006

You like chocolate???


Well have I got the chocolate cake for you!!!! This evening I made and tasted possibly the most lethal creation in a 2lb loaf pan --- da da dum, the Quadruple Chocolate Loaf Cake from Nigella Lawson's Feast. Oh my friggin' god, my fingers are shaking writing this as the sugar is steadily entering my bloodstream. I wanted to have this post out tonight in case I slip into a chocolate coma and the authorities must be called.

I honestly don't know how we will finish this cake. Rafa has to be really in the mood for something so sweet and chocolatey.. Currently he is sitting to my right eating a Twizzler -- he fondly calls them Twizzles.

This evening was a strange one. I made the cake before starting on dinner because I knew that once dinner would be done I wouldn't be arsed to make a cake of this magnitude... Loads of stuff went wrong while making the cake including burning myself with some caramelized cocoa and sugar. There was chocolate literally everywhere in my kitchen - but oh, was this cake worth it... The four layers of chocolate are cocoa for the batter, then chocolate chips are folded in (good 'ol Toll House morsels!), then as the cake is cooling a chocolate sugar syrup is poured on the cake (cue: most painful burn in creation!), and then chocolate shavings are scattered on top of the sticky syrup. Once again I got rubble (yes, my chocolate was cold, I promise!!) and I was working really hard with my fantabultastic mezzaluna that I decided to scatter on chocolate bits as well as rubble - made it look more like the picture in the book.

Now what does this have to do with Tom N-D?! Well.... uh... nothing I guess. LOL.
So really this blog entry is just to say that the cake, if you are to make it one day, is mega-huge in flavor and you need to have a big glass of milk ready. Also, don't bet on sleeping for 12 hrs following consumption. Too bad for me cause I usually go to bed in an hour from now...

Nothing left to add now except for check out the money shot on the top...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey Ilana,

That photo of the cake is FABULOUS!! I love this cake too; in fact I rate it even above the Chocolate Fudge Cake (Nigella Bites), which used to be my fave choc cake of all time.

Good work, darlin'!

xox sarah

Anonymous said...

This cake is chocalicious ain't it????? Addictive too, just one more piece, and another and another.
I think this is my favourite cake at the moment, I've made it a few times now and everyone loves it.
Love the money shot by the way, beautiful photo!