Saturday, March 25, 2006

Saturday Night's Alright for Risotto

Rafa and I usually reach a point during the weekend where we have been inactive for so long we can't possibly be arsed to think about dinner... That point is usually Saturday night. Since we sometimes get a takeout on Friday night, I insist that Saturday be a dinner at home to save the pennies. So a debate ensues:

Rafa: Have you thought about dinner?
Me: Have YOU thought about dinner?
Rafa: No, what do you want to eat.
Me: I don't know.. you?
Rafa: I don't know.
(Few minutes go by, sometimes the same conversation gets repeated several times with tempers flaring and stomachs grumbling)
Me: Erm, ah, how about risotto?!
Rafa: OK.

Even though the conversation could use some new dialogue from time to time, the decision we make in the end never gets old. Risotto. I love risotto. And the great thing about this project is that TND loves risotto! Since the Adventures in Cupboard Loving haven't begun yet, I thought I'd go to one of my standby risottos, Nigella's Pea Risotto from How to Eat. It is scrummy!!! Mmmmm.

Making da risotto

The final result

I think that I'll enjoy TND's Risotto chapter immensely!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm loving your blog, Ilana. I have recently purschased Cupboard Love myself (10 days ago - to be exact) and i was just wondering if you were going to work your way through each chapter in turn, or will you pick a different chapter every time?
It's a shame that i will miss your first couple of weeks as i'm away on holiday - but I wish you the best of luck and look forward to catching up with your blog when i return.

Lady M said...

hi, leeanne. thanks for your nice comments. i hope you are enjoying Cupboard Love!
i think i will pick a recipe from a different chapter every time, because as much as i love pasta and risotto, i don't think i could eat it every day, LOL. i'm pretty sure i could manage it and love it in the process, but knowing me will become quite sick of it, and i NEVER want to be sick of risotto or pasta!!!
have a great holiday.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! If you need any ingredients from the UK that you can't get hold of there, just let me know and i'll ship it out to you.
I think i'll treat myself to a risotto tonight.
Is this your first TND book or do you have Just Like Mother Used to Make?

Lady M said...

Thanks so much for your kind offer... I think I should be all set for now, but will holler if I do need help sourcing ingredients :)
I don't have Tom's other book, but no doubt will get it once the 6 months are up!!
Enjoy your risotto!! :))

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm, that conversation between you and Rafa could easily have taken place in my house. In fact it does, frequently.
Same scene, similar dialogue
Me: What's for tea?
Him: I don't know, what do you want
Me: Anything you cook
Him: Well what do you want me to cook
Me: Anything you want
Him: Well what would you like?

And it goes on to infinity and beyond until I decide what we are going to eat. He can keep the conversation up forever so I always give in usually when there's tumbleweed blowing across and 2 skeletons sitting in the living room.....
GQ x