Monday, March 27, 2006

Dr. Atkins has his own holiday!!!

...and it's called Passover!!!
Thinking ahead to the project that is starting in just under a week, I am gearing up to actually do this thing, for real! But now I realize that Passover is approaching mighty soon.. it falls between April 13th and 20th this year, which means that I won't be able to cook a lot of the recipes in CL, yikes!!! So instead of seeing this as an obstacle, I think it will actually be fun to pick out what I actually CAN eat for 8 days!

So here are the no-no's come Passover week... no bread, pasta, cake w/flour or leavening agents, rice, corn, peas, green beans, lentils... I guess you're wondering what on earth I will eat, ha!! That's why I think of Passover as the Atkins holiday - very limiting, carb-wise. Bad, bad Atkins!!

I am traditionally-Jewish enough to love the holiday and what it symbolizes, but secular enough to bitch about what I can't eat, LOL. And then I think about my ancestors living under the tyranny of the pharaoh, and I think how friggin' lucky they were that they didn't have pizzerias a couple of steps away from where they lived!!!

Ok, ok, back to the project. I guess the chapters I won't go into for that one week are probably going to be:

Pasta
Risotto
Eggs and Toast (if toast is an integral part of the egg dish)
Stir Fries and Curries (without rice and naan?! You kiddin' me!??)
Junk Food (what's the point of a burger without the bun -- and yes, Kosher for Passover burger buns are the most disgusting things in the universe)

So it looks like I'm going to be grilling a lot, eating loads of soup and salad, and finishing it all up with copious amounts of ice cream... Sweeet!

Another great part to the whole no flour thing is that Nigella's Easter cake from Feast seems to be flour-free... I am not sure how Kosher for Passover the Easter egg decorations are.. LOL, let's bet they are not! But I think it would be pretty cool if those did exist... But that's OK, I ate enough this past weekend to last me about 8 Easters... damn, they're good!

I think I am looking forward to this Passover more than any other before... bring on the matzah!!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey Ilana,

Aah.. Passover... it often falls during my birthday (end of April), which often meant that my Jewish friends wouldn't get to eat my birthday cake! Poor things. They'd only get to eat the massive bowls of extra icing I'd make for them.

Wait a minute... maybe they got the better end of the deal!

Hehe!

xox Sarah

Lady M said...

Haha, Sarah!!! At least you didn't serve them awful Kosher for Passover cake... euusshh!
I can't wait to see what lovelies you will be cooking for your bday, and an early Happy Bday!!