Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Ta Dum! (The Return of The Procrastinator)

With my friends now gone and no real reason not to be home, the procrastination has to come to an end -- NOW!


I flicked through Cupboard Love to get an idea of what I will be cooking... it's still pretty hot here so many things did not appeal, like the whole Soup chapter.

I had remembered a pasta dish I quite liked when I was cooking at Lisa's in Florida, so I made a variation of the recipe.

112. Spaghetti with Ricotta and Herbs (variation) - *Pasta*

There are a few suggestions for variations that Tom gives -- asparagus, broccoli, peas, broad beans, arugula, or my choice, baby spinach.

Spinach and ricotta go hand in hand in lasagna or pasta with shells, so I thought, why not?

As before, the preparation was very simple. While the pasta was boiling, I took out a few tablespoons of pasta water and mixed it with ricotta so that the cheese melted to make a sort of creamy sauce. I added pecorino this time, to ensure the sauce would be salty enough, plus some chilli flakes, as I wasn't catering to kiddies this time. I also chose oregano for this time, because basil around my parts never looks very pretty. With a tablespoon each of lemon juice and olive oil, the sauce was done.
I tossed it through the pasta with the chopped spinach, and the preparation was done!

This was really tasty! I think, though, that I should continue catering to kiddies' tastes as it was a taaaad too spicy for me, and this is after quartering the chilli flakes amount. Man, Tom, you like things spicy - wow! You know I was never a big fan of ricotta -- I always found it bland and bla. But this recipe really showcases it. I just love spaghetti, mmm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks lovely, nice and light. Great to see you back on course....well done Ilana.
Leeanne (Teacake)

Anna's kitchen table said...

mmmm, that looks delicious Ilana!

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful. :o)
As for soups what about a nice Gazpacho instead of a hot soup?

Lady M said...

Thanks Leeanne and Anna. It does feel nice to be back on course. But need to get cooking more too! :)

Evie, a gazpacho would be lovely, unfortunately Tom doesn't have a recipe for it in Cupboard Love. Interestingly, though, he did have a recipe for Salmorejo, which is a thicker gazpacho, in a past Delicious. I blogged about it here: http://when-ilana-met-pantry.blogspot.com/2006/04/you-say-tomatoes.html

Lady M said...

whoops, that didn't work. ok if you do a search for salmorejo in the blog, you will come across it. one of my fave pictures, by the way. :)

Anonymous said...

Your Salmorejo looks wonderful, Ilana. :oq