Friday, August 04, 2006

Presto! Pesto!

Last night was probably the worst night to come home and make dinner. After work, following numerous train delays, I finally got a chance to run about a zillion errands. It wasn't until two hours later that I finally got home, drenched in sweat -- it's hella hot out there! Dinner seemed like a far away mirage -- something highly unattainable but desperately desired, as I need to get through this project!

If it wasn't for the quick and simple recipes in the Pasta chapter, I don't think I would have even bothered with dinner at all, as I inhaled an entire bag of Bamba upon my arrival home.

But this recipe could be made ahead, so it was perfect for me!

111. Pasta with Pesto - *Pasta*

Pesto is one of those things that everyone and their mother know how to make, but everyone has different recipes they swear by. Tom is no exception. His pesto recipe, quite traditionally, has basil, pine nuts, and parmesan, but he is very clear on the correct process of making proper pesto.

So, first you blitz up some basil (I was able to salvage some awful looking leaves that I found in my grocery store), pine nuts, and garlic.


Then, instead of adding anything else to the food processor, you instead fold in the grated parmesan and olive oil. Tom says pesto should never be a fine sauce; folding in the rest of the ingredients ensures it remains a sauce with texture.

Then, the pesto is simply seasoned with salt and pepper, and set aside until you need it.

About an hour later, I boiled up some orecchiette, drained it carefully to leave some water on the pasta, and quickly folded in a couple of tablespoons of the pesto sauce.

I grated a little bit more of the parmesan on top, and dinner was served!


This was very yummy, very garlicky, loved it! I needed to season it with a bit more salt, but that was hardly a tragedy. I have a little bit of the pesto left, so I am not sure what to do with it. Perhaps I'll use it for some grilled chicken. There is a variation on the pasta recipe above to use it with pasta, potatoes, and fava beans. But, for some reason, potatoes with pesto have always given me an icky feeling, don't ask why, so I'm debating if I'll skip it or not. Hmmmmn. What shall I do with the resto of the pesto??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Slather the pesto on some good bread, top with slice tomatoes and a some slices of mozzarella. Pop in the oven until the cheese melts and enjoy!