Friday, July 21, 2006

The Many Uses of 'The Good Bread'

Lisa and Troy will probably kill me, but I had to talk some more about The Good Bread. That is, the fabarooni ciabatta from Sullivan Street Bakery. They first tasted it on their short trip to New York last month, and then again when I brought a loaf to Florida.

Since the bakery is right by my job, it would be a crime to not indulge in some lovely bread!

At lunch today, I picked up a couple of medium loaves of the ciabatta...

When I was coming home it was pouring down rain, so I obviously couldn't get any ingredients for dinner... I was faced with the dilemma, 'what do I do with this bread before it goes stale?'. I went straight to the Toast chapter!

106. Roast Tinned Tomatoes - *Toast*

I've said in the past I am not a fan of roasted things - apart from chicken! I just find that when veggies get roasted they get all mushy and weird-tasting. Wow, what a mature statement! But I can't be too picky in this project - I am entering now into 'the recipes I wouldn't normally make' phase of the project.

So, roast tinned tomatoes are exactly made as you would imagine.

You empty a tin of whole plum tomatoes into a colander being careful not to break up the tomatoes. You drain it a bit and then put it in a pan oiled with olive oil. A bit of salt is added along with balsamic vinegar, more oil and salt. Finally, a sprig of rosemary goes on top, and it is ready for the oven.


The tomatoes roast for about 25 minutes until wrinkly and slightly charred, and then they just go on top some toast.

I added some grated parmesan too, as cheese was an option.


This was actually pretty good! It still tasted roast-y, but not bad at all. The bread was a perfect vehicle for the tomatoes, so good choice indeed in making this recipe tonight.

No comments: