Monday, June 19, 2006

Monday Night Stir-Fry

I'm seeing a bit of a pattern when it comes to my cooking. Monday nights are funny nights -- I'm obviously feeling guilty that I haven't caught up on the weekend but I am so into that Monday-feeling-sorry-for-myself feeling that I can't really think of cooking anything substantial. Also it's now 8pm and it's about 86ยบ degrees here. I am not in the mood for anything too time-consuming. That just screams to me, 'stir-fry'!! (If you're curious, yes, I made a stir-fry last Monday night too!)

86. A basic vegetarian stir-fry (summer variation) - *Stir-Fries*

When Tom listed the Basic recipe he stated that it was sparse on purpose - so people are free to add and subtract ingredients as needed, and also to cook seasonally. The 'summer variation' includes courgettes (zucchini) and peppers. And this time, I remembered to get the red onion!


So all it entails is chopping up some zucchini, peppers, red onion, garlic and ginger pretty small. The onion goes first into a hot and oiled pan, then the garlic and ginger follow. The last additions are the peppers and zucchini slices. I let this cook slightly longer than Tom stipulates since they are harder vegetables, as compared to the broccoli and carrots of the Basic version.

The sauce goes in last (made of soy sauce, water, and honey) and let to cook for about thirty seconds. Easy peasy lemon squeasy! And so beautiful and fragrant too!
I even had time and energy to make a double-batch of Rafa's fave 'lemony cookies.' I didn't want to turn on the oven, but he asked nicely and cranked up the A/C.

Dinner and dessert without breakin' a sweat. ;)

2 comments:

irenethrun said...

Did Hubby ask "Where's my meat?" Heh heh. Or did the cookies quieten him down sufficiently?

Anonymous said...

hello ilana.. dropped by your site from nigella.com, good luck in your project! looks really good ;)

I've added u to my blogroll