Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The Forgotten

If there was a culinary equivalent of Child Services, then I would be the worst offender; those mugshots you see of people that have abused and abandoned their kids, well I've done to the same, to veggies! I honestly don't mean to (take out your small violins!), but I buy them with the best intentions, use a tiny bit of them, and then leave the rest to slowly die in my fridge.

I decided to dive into the Stir-Fries chapter tonight because I really needed to use up the leftover veggies I had in there...

47. A basic vegetarian stir-fry - *Stir-Fries*

The above recipe requires, among other things, a red onion and fresh ginger. When I had remembered this recipe on my way home tonight I had forgotten that these two ingredients were needed. (I really need to carry CL with me!) When I had read the recipe shortly after coming home, I ran to my fridge with hopes there was a red onion and ginger to save... I'm sad to report that the red onion did not make it. I don't know how long the 1/2 red onion has been there, it was hiding behind the milk. But, after many attempts to peel off layers, the red onion was not able to saved. The ginger, however, I did have, leftover from curry night. The world can't be saved by one person alone. :)

The stir-fry was stoopid easy! I just cut up some broccoli into small florets and sliced some carrots very finely with a vegetable peeler.


Then I made the sauce which is just some soy sauce, hot water and honey. The sliced onions went in first (I had white onions), and the chopped garlic and ginger followed. Finally, the broccoli and carrots joined the rest of the crew, shortly followed by the yummy sauce. I made some Perfect Rice to go with it, and it was a lovely accompaniment to soak up all the juices from the stir-fry.

This was a truly yummy stir-fry!! I felt so proud of myself for saving that lone and forgotten ginger in my fridge, and all virtuous after eating some veggies, and then I celebrated my good behavior by eating some Cookies & Cream ice cream. :)

No comments: