Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I just can't help myself!!!

Many people spend their lives helping other people; finding cures for awful diseases, educating others, leading charity groups. Me, I have my own life mission; finding the perfect risotto!

Yes, I know I had risotto only three days ago, but ever since my sister compared my risotto to the ones in the Risotteria, I just had to see what she was talking about. I went to not-always accurate Menu Pages to find some reviews of the restaurant. Quite surprisingly, it seemed like 8 out of 10 were positive reviews. But it was the negative ones that caught my eye; something about risotto should never be part of a short-order type of menu, that the risotto came to the table too quickly and something had to be wrong with it. I had to agree with these people; I can't imagine tons of tables being served risotto all at once. Were there rows of stirrer-robots in the kitchen standing my risotto pots, and that was there only function. How could one or two chefs possibly produce so many risotti at once?!

This led me to search for my own perfect version of risotto. One that was made with love; where the chef stood by the pan's side, putting all of him/herself in one dish, and one dish alone. The dish would be risotto, and I would be the chef.

If you could count up to six, you would notice that I finished all the risotti recipes in Cupboard Love. I needed a challenge; so I decided to change my favorite one in CL and make it mine. I took the Chilli and Herb Risotto and changed things up a bit.

1. I used the perfect proportion of chicken stock this time - having found out what the proportion finally is after many salty risotti - the stock had a pinch of saffron in it. (Last time, you may remember, I used vegetable stock.)
2. I ladled in more stock each time and had the heat really low so I could finally get the 'al dente' bite back from the risotto.
3. I put it in a combination of chopped rosemary and sage.
4. I took it easy on the chilli flakes so this wouldn't be a three-alarm fiery risotto.

And then I got it; perfection!

'Real' chefs may disagree with me and point out ten thousand things that I did wrong - but I think it was pretty damn tasty. I may not be the smartest person around, I don't know how to play an instrument, can't hold a tune to save my life, but damn, I make some kick-ass risotto. Mission accomplished. And now I'm so full I think I'm going to pass out. Good night, all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ilana,
Your risotto looks fab. Can't wait to try it! I have both rosemary and sage growing in the kitchen. :)