Sunday, April 09, 2006

Soup?! Again?!

Yes, soup again!!! I was quite hungry at lunchtime and couldn't think of what to make. I knew that soup would be the easiest and most nutritious thing to eat, so I went back to CL's Soup chapter!

14. Cor-Blimey-Guv'nor Soup - *Soup*

Tom N-D describes this soup as the Peckham-frozen pea version of the 'London Particular' in Lindsay Bareham's In Celebration of Soup. Now I don't know who Lindsay Bareham is, and I've never seen that book, obviously, but I guess that is not important to make this soup! Ha!

It is basically a pea soup with stale bread added in at the end.


The ingredients: frozen peas, stale bread, and Worcestershire sauce

First, Tom's 'stock' needed to get going. This was done by sweating an onion for a few minutes in some butter and oil. Once the onions were soft, I added the peas, Worcestershire sauce, and just boiled water. The pan then simmered for about 20 minutes and then I added the stale bread. Done! Tom suggested to either mash the soup with a masher or to purée it in a food processor. I chose the former as sometimes when eating really creamy soups I almost feel like my 1-year old nephew eating spinach lasagne from a Gerber jar. I wanted a tad more texture than that!!

To top off the soup, Tom also suggested to add a dollop of sour cream. (Actually, a topping of crispy bacon was also recommended, but I don't like bacon, and it was optional!)


The soup was pretty good; but I think for now I still prefer the previous Turkish lentil soup, more for its flavor than anything else.

* Oh, and can somebody explain the title for the soup, please! Is it Peckham phrasology?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ilana,

Just answering the question about Pekham Phrasology.

Cor-Blimey-Guv-nor is cockney, a kind of English slang that used to be/is spoken in the east end of London. Peckham is an area where people, histocrically the working classes wpuld speak cockney.

Cor Blimey Guvnor basicly means, wow or something like that, it is expressing suprise i guess.
Cockney is often spoken in rhyming slang, for example someone might say 'i tripped on the apples and pairs' which would mean 'i tripped on the stairs' go figure!

For more info look at http://www.londonslang.com/

Hope this answers your question!

Lots a love, a london (but not cockney!) girl x

Lady M said...

Thanks Char!!!
Well that soup sure was stonking good!!!!

:)
Ilana