Sunday, April 09, 2006

Magical Culinary Tour: Avenue U


First stop on Magical Culinary Tour: Avenue U, home to the smallest Chinatown in NYC!

I had a bit of time today after breakfast to run some errands so I thought I'd take a walk in my neighborhood, Avenue U, to source some ingredients for tonight's dinner.


south side of the street - Chinese pharmacies, florist, and super stores

I needed some tofu and other ingredients, so I headed straight for the chinese superstore I always go to for Asian ingredients and meat, fish, and poultry. I knew about the place even before I moved here, as my parents go there all the time. They actually prefer the fish here to the big super shops on Brighton Beach, Brooklyn's Little Odessa. I didn't even know the name of the store until I saw it on my credit card statement shortly after I moved here.

Here's the store.

Bok choi, among other things.. Not sure what they all are as all the signs are in Chinese, LOL.

Which tofu?? Silken? Firm? I ended up choosing Regular.

Well thanks for coming on this Magical Culinary Tour. Watch this space tomorrow for a report of tonight's Asian-inspired dinner!

3 comments:

Paola Westbeek said...

Still loving your blog, Ilana! And I love the "Magical Culinary Tour". The name really struck a chord! ;) That tofu stir fry also looks like something for me!

Paola

Lady M said...

Hi, sweetie, yes this recipe is right up your alley! Let me know if you ever need the recipe...

xoxo
Ilana

Anonymous said...

I really loved this magical culinary tour too, more pics please of your neighbourhood, I feel like I'm shopping with you!!!!

Any pub pictures and we can go for a cyber pint???