Monday, April 17, 2006

Pass the omelette, please!

Tonight was omelette night! Sometimes I am in the mood for breakfast food in the evening, as I find this type of food less stressful to make after a long day. And we all know I always have a case of the Mondays!

28. Elizabeth David's Tunny Omelette - *Toast*
29. Very Simple Vegetable Omelettes - *Toast*

I decided to make two different types of omelettes because I honestly can't stand tuna fish... It is one of the unmentionables that I find will be quite difficult to cook for this project. There are six tuna fish recipes, yikes! Thank god I have Rafa that loves tuna fish! So, I started on his omelette first!

I warmed some butter and oil in a pan and added chopped onions. When this was warm, I added lemon juice, chopped parsley, salt, pepper, and tinned tuna fish. I let this cook for a little bit and took it off the heat and put it aside into a bowl. I wiped the pan clean, heated it up again, and added barely beaten eggs. When the omelette was close to setting, I added the tuna mixture, and the omelette was ready to be served. I gave it to Rafa in a ciabatta loaf, as the man likes his bread! (He's not Jewish, and thus doesn't observe Passover.)

Rafa's Tunny omelette

Rafa declared his omelette 'very good', which really means that it was excellent! Now, I wouldn't touch tuna fish with a ten-foot pole, but as long as he's happy and I could get through six recipes with his appetite, I'm happy too!

My omelette was just as simple. After washing the pan (thoroughly, from all the tuna fish elements!!), I melted some butter and added some sliced mushrooms. When they were sufficiently fried, I took them out of the pan and to the side, while I added some lightly beaten eggs to the hot pan. When the omelette was setting, I added the mushrooms and also some grated poorman'sgrana. (Tom didn't mention cheese, but since I wasn't eating bread I wanted a little treat for myself.)

setting omelette

The last part of the recipe just involved folding the omelette and serving it. Now my verdict: it was delicious!!! A lovely and simple dinner with minimal ingredients. A cupboard's dream.

finished Simple Vegetable omelette

No comments: