Sunday, March 19, 2006

It's got HOW many recipes??!!??

Alright, so I think I may have underestimated our man Tom... I did a general review of the recipes in the book and I calculated approximately 175 recipes! 175!!!! Although I did not think it would be a tome like Nigella's Feast or How to Eat, I also did not expect so many recipes.. The book itself is not very thick, but Tom N-D has lots of 'ways' to serve certain things and I guess it does not take up a lot of page space... So, thorough he is.

Here is the breakdown:

Pasta - 21 recipes
Risotto - 6 recipes (only six, boo hoo!!)
Toast - 24 recipes -- (hehe, not all toast I can assure you, lots of eggy omeletty dishes)
Salads - 13 recipes
Stir-Fry - 12 recipes
Grills - 14 recipes (instead of giving recipes for grilled dishes, Tom gives recipes for sauces and accompaniments and hints on how to best grill several items)
Soups - 14 recipes
Junk Food - 24 recipes
Indian - 15 recipes
Thai - 7 recipes
Afters - 25 recipes - (LOTS of different ways to serve ice cream -- never a bad thing!)

I've decided that this project is do-able in a 6 month timeframe. So 175 recipes in 185 days is about 0.95 recipes a day... (Or close to a recipe a day!) Erm, I can do it, I guess. I think a big part of completing this and being successful at it is to combine one or two recipes in each meal, like my fabulous friend, Sarah, does, and spreading out the meals so it won't be CL all of the time... I still have loads of Nigella's recipes and others I am quite tempted to try!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'aloo 'lana. As your math teacher friend I have to say that your calculations are a little off : 0.95 recipes per day you need to squeeze in. You also have 1.06 days to complete 1 recipe. Charming right?

Your writing is sparkling as ever. I will stay tuned. And not just to be a pain in the calculator. Cheers!

Lady M said...

holy integers, batman! you are right!! whoops! well i guess that is why you're the math teacher and i'm the, erm, well i make darn good cupcakes! LOL. will change accordingly, darling. thanks for your kind words as usual.