Monday, June 12, 2006

Check in your knives at the door!

Now I'm back in familiar territory - vegetables! It's been a while since I checked out the Stir-Fries chapter!

81. The No-Knife Stir Fry - *Stir-Fries*
82. Chocolate and Banana Shake - *Afters*

Tom is true to his word about the stir-fry ; there is indeed no chopping at all! It consists of oyster mushrooms, bean sprouts and mangetouts (snow peas). All of these items were purchased when I got home from work.

The preparation for the stir-fry sauce was equally simple; I grated some ginger, garlic, and lime zest into a bowl. To this I added lime juice, honey, and soy sauce.

The stir-fry itself took minutes. First I heated some light olive oil until my pan was smoky, and I started frying the oyster mushrooms, that were just torn into smaller slices. They fried for a couple of minutes, and then I added the mangetouts, followed by the bean sprouts. The sauce was added last, and that's it! The rice was ready on the next hob, so dinner was promptly served!

This was really wonderful! I particularly liked the tang of the lime in the sauce and also the oyster mushrooms. It was the first time cooking or eating with them and I was happily surprised! Mmmmm!

For dessert, I decided to just make a quick shake of chocolate ice cream, bananas, and milk! Delicious!!!

The shake could have been a tad sweeter - it's due to the bananas not being ripe enough. I'm an impatient gal!!

So now that I have had my veggies and fruits, I could afford to have a brownie or four, right?!

No comments: