Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Ode to Carbs!


It is a rare victory for me when I bring some food into work; a victory because it means saving the pennies, and rare because I hardly have any leftovers or the will to make up something quick in the morning! Today was one of those shining moments!

19. The Omelette Sandwich - *Toast*

The above recipe directly follows the one for the Spanish Omelette. Lucky for me, I made the omelette last night!! So the 'sandwich' version is really just an assembly job -- perfect for me as I can hardly put two words together at 7:30am!

So, this morning, after showering and dressing and doing the usual faffing about, I took the omelette out of the fridge and a roll and a few tomatoes from the Tomato and Red Onion Salad and put the whole dang thing together! Both sides of the roll were smeared with the tomatoes and the omelette went right in the middle.

Tom points out that the sandwich is quite typical of Spanish cuisine as it is the perfect solution for leftover tortilla. And it goes along with Spaniards' food policy of ordering bread with a side of bread. In all my experiences with eating with Spaniards, no matter what we were eating, the one common thread I have found is that they hold their forks with one hand, and a piece of bread with the other! Regarding the sandwich, I've gone to a few tapa bars and ordered a montadito (small sandwich) with tortilla and gaucha sauce! Some would argue that the variation is even better than the original version itself! Today at lunch was no exception! It was perfect! Filling, delicious, and my final farewell to carbs... as Passover starts this evening!


Goodbye, bread!

No comments: