Saturday, April 29, 2006

Magical Culinary Tour: Little India

After work on Friday, I met up with my good friend, Rosie, to take a small excursion to a very unique part of New York, Little India. So we met on the F train platform at 57th street, and headed to Jackson Heights, Queens, home to fabulous Indian supermarkets, sari shops, and the best Indian food in New York.

The beautiful colors of the sari shops on 74th street, Jackson Heights.


I wanted to head to Jackson Heights after work because I needed last minute goodies for the curry banquet that night. We headed straight to Patel Brothers, which is an Indian grocery super-store. It has literally everything you could ever imagine you'd need for curry night!


whole wall full of dhal (lentils)

and rice!

I picked up some paneer, poppadums, naan (packaged) for impromptu curry nights, and a couple of condiment bowls for the chutney!

On the way to get some fresh naan and samosas, we did some more window shopping. Check out the bling, Bollywood-style.


We finally got to a nearby restaurant to get some takeout naan and samosas for our dinner.


The lovely man at the restaurant let me take a shot of him. Here is retrieving some naan from the tandoori. The procedure, I observed, was to take that dough to his left, dimple it a bit, put it on that white spongy thing in front of him, and use it as a sort of mit to stick it into the oven. Then he would retrieve the cooked naan with that stick. The result is a lovely, fluffy, and warm piece of perfection!

We got back on the F with bags in tow to get home and start cooking!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh wow! Wish there was a Patel Brothers store here - I want to go and browse there NOW!

Anonymous said...

Me, too! All those beautiful saris! And now I'm hungry.