Sunday, April 23, 2006

Ilana Cook Thai!

Ilana cook Thai very well! (Meet the Parents reference). I had such a great experience with Tom's Stir-Fries chapter a few days ago, I thought I'd sample some more of what the stir-fry king had to offer!

31. A Thai-Style Noodle Fry-Up - *Stir-Fries*

Tom's 'noodle fry-up' is his take on the famous pad thai. From the look of ingredients I saw that I needed to take another trip to the Chinese supermarket I love. There, I picked up rice stick noodles, which are like white tagliatelle, some veggies, and crushed peanuts!

I started on dinner fairly early because I did not have much of a lunch, or breakfast for that matter, so I was quite hungry! First, I chopped up some veggies for the stir-fry.

chopped garlic, spring onions, and bean sprouts (the sprouts didn't need chopping)

After I was done with the chopping, I got on with the sauce for the dish. I mixed up some fish sauce (no one told me it was made from anchovies, euushh!), peanut butter, sugar, ketchup and lime. The sauce was to be the focal point of the dish since it incorporated sweet, sour, salt, and spicy elements!

I also beat a couple of eggs for the stir-fry shortly after finishing the sauce.

beaten eggs and sauce

While all this was going on, I had poured some just-boiled water over some rice stick noodles. They were left to soften for only about five minutes and then were drained under the tap.

And then the stir-frying began: First went in the beaten egg into an oiled and hot pan. This was mixed up to make dry scrambled eggs, and then the spring onions, chilli flakes and garlic went in. At this point, I knew I was in action as the smell was fabulous!

eggs, spring onions, and garlic -- MMMMM!

Into the stir-fry, the bean sprouts went in next, shortly followed by the noodles and sauce. This was left to stir-fry for another couple of minutes and it was ready to eat!! I garnished the top with chopped peanuts, as is customary in Thai restaurants.


This turned out really well! I definitely tasted all of the elements of the sauce and the chilli flakes. The noodles were wonderful, and I loved how the sprouts and spring onions complemented the dish quite well... and I love eggs in any Asian dish! It provides the blandness one needs after being hit with a flavor boost!

Yet another great stir-fry!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Llana.
I'm sure that by now you must be sick of the sound of my voice bossing you around but a friend alerted me to your blog. So I just wanted to say hello and thank you for being the most diligent recipe reader Ive ever come across! Your blog is marvellous (see where flattery gets you?)
You probably know this already but if you ever come across anything that isn't clear or simply doesn't work for you, then email me at tom.norrington-davies@telegraph.co.uk and I'll look out for you.
I'm so chuffed that a New Yorker owns cupboard Love, by the way. In my fantasy life I live there too, stockin' up my cupboard at zabars and buying my noodles in chinatown...not to mention stopping for oysters in Grand Central on the way home...maybe one day!
very best wishes tom nd x

Lady M said...

Hi, thanks for taking the time and reading my blog. (Major blushing going on!)
I will certainly look to you for advice on any specific recipe; I'm enjoying the book thoroughly, so thank you!

Ilana :)

Anonymous said...

:))) so he found you! such a sweet comment, the best sort of encouragement :)))

Anonymous said...

Hey Ilana!

How great is that?! A reply from the man himself :)

Really enjoying your blog!

Kelly-Janexx