Friday, April 07, 2006

Easy-Peasy Night: Part 1 - Curry in a Hurry

Friday nights, I always find, are the hardest evenings to cook... the week has ended, my time to relax has come, and really all I want to do is lie back in bed staring at the ceiling. But after doing that for a while, my stomach started grumbling so I figured I should at least make myself something. One of the recipes in CL's Toast chapter called out to me.

9. Curried Eggs on Toast - *Toast*

I've had eggs and toast plenty of times; I've had curries on numerous occasions. But I've never actually had curry eggs on toast. It's not exactly an item on our local diner's menu. But the combination is so perfect I don't see why it shouldn't be! Tom adapted this recipe from Madhur Jaffrey's first book, Indian Cookery.

The method is simple enough and was the start of my easy-peasy night of cooking. I warmed some vegetable oil in a pan and added a chopped half of an onion (I quartered the recipe!). Then I grated over some ginger and added a shake or two of chilli flakes. To that, I added some single cream (I used a combination of heavy cream and 2% milk), tomato purée, lemon juice, cumin and garam masala. This simmered for a little while as the eggs were boiling in the next pan. Once the eggs were done, I shelled and halved them and added them to the curry cream mixture. And then all that was left was plopping these on top of some warm toast. Tom said to garnish with some parsley, and like a good Jeannie, did as I was told.


I wasn't sure what to make of the taste at first, but as I got used to it, the flavors blended together fabulously! This is definitely, at least for me, an afternoon-evening snack. As much as I love curry and as much as I love eggs, I don't think I could eat the two together for brekkie!!!

No comments: