Monday, March 20, 2006

Hallo, Tom, I believe we've met!

I've read TND's (I still can't figure out how I will abbreviate his name for this blog, so work with me, people!) name countless times on the Nigella.com forum page... And I also knew he contributed to Delicious UK magazine, but I never put two and two together.. This past weekend I remembered that I have actually made a recipe of his from a Delicious issue.

While in Seville this summer I had access to the UK edition of the magazine since Rafa picked one up for me in Heathrow a month or so earlier... In the US we don't get the UK edition, only the Aussie one. Seville gets so hot in July and August that sometimes all you want to do is just sit in front of a fan and not move an inch; that is when I came across Tom's Strawberry and Polenta Shortcake. It looked so nice and cool so I was quite tempted to try it.. and so I did when I got back home. Here it is, made at the end of September, 2005.



Strawberry and Polenta Shortcake - Delicious UK July, 2005

If this cake is anything to go by then I gots no problem with regard to this project. I made some changes to the recipe. I didn't have my scales at the time and I think I did a horrible job in converting into cups for the flour because I got two very very thin layers for my shortcake.. Yes, I know it's a shortcake, but not a short-arsecake. So to pretty it up a bit I added some cream to the tippy top layer with more strawberries and some chocolate 'rubble'. If anyone has any wise words as to how to get nice chocolate curlies I'd really appreciate it. I've tried all means possible but I either get dust or rubble.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photo!

Anonymous said...

You can get chocolate curls if you put the chocolate in the fridge or the freezer to harden and then shave curls off with a potato peeler. :)

Lady M said...

Thanks, Lotta and Meg!
Lotta, I have done in the past as you said -- well I did with fridge-cold, maybe I'll try freezer-cold next time!! Thanks for the advice; will keep you posted!

:)